Support Midwifery in British Columbia
Join the conversation on maternity care in British Columbia!
Midwives are vital to British Columbia’s health care system by providing a cost effective solution to provide and improve maternity care and health outcomes for British Columbia.
Step Two: Share your personal story about midwifery on Twitter and Facebook. Use the #BCMidwives hashtag on Twitter and don’t forget to include the name of your community.
Not sure what to share? Start with the information below.
Want to help? Click below:
Key Facts to Share
- Midwives are highly trained, university educated, publicly funded and regulated by the Province
- Midwives play a significant and growing role in the delivery of primary maternity care and delivered over 6,233 or 14.7 per cent of the 42,336 babies born in BC in 2010/11
- Midwives practice in clinics, hospitals and homes and provide 24-hour service to BC families
- Demand for midwifery is growing; women and families want more choice
- Women in the care of midwives have a lower rate of c-sections
- Women in the care of midwives have a lower rate of preterm births
- Women in the care of midwives are less likely to require obstetrical technology
- Women in the care of midwives are less likely to be hospitalized prenatally
- Women in the care of midwives spend less time in the hospital
- Midwives free up hospital beds and use fewer resources for the benefit of other patients in need of health care
- By improving health outcomes midwives save the provincial health care budget millions of dollars per year
Get the button
Cut and paste the code below into your blog or website to get this button and show your support for midwives!