The Midwives Association of British Columbia (MABC) is the professional association for midwives in BC and is registered under the Societies Act.
The MABC’s objectives are to:
- Promote the profession of midwifery within the province of British Columbia.
- Advocate for the ongoing development and enhancement of midwifery services.
- Provide continuing education opportunities for its members.
- Provide professional services to its midwives, including liability insurance and representation in matters of remuneration and benefits.
- Support midwifery education programs which are provincially available, broad based, accessible and affordable.
- Represent the interests of midwives and the profession of midwifery.
The MABC Board of Directors is composed of at least six elected members and one student representative, and meets eight times per year. The Board and committees meet regularly.
Committees active under the 2015-2019 Midwifery Master Agreement include, but are not limited to:
- Rural Practice Committee
- Fee Advisory Committee
- Midwifery Liaison Committee
- Perinatal Steering Committee
Programs active under the 2015-2019 Midwifery Master Agreement include but are not limited to:
- Rural Midwifery Locum Program
- Midwifery Rural Practice and Support Grant Program
- Midwives Emergency Skills Program
- Home Birth Supplies Program
The Midwives Association of BC supports the mission and mandate of the Canadian Association of Midwives.