Dept. of Midwifery Privileging Opportunities
BC Women's Hospital
Dec 3, 2018
Privileges Vacancies November 2018
The Department of Midwifery at BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre and Providence Health Care, St. Paul’s Hospital, invites interested midwives to apply for medical staff privileges. There are currently 6 vacant positions eligible; three positions for privileges at St. Paul’s Hospital only and require a commitment to SPH for a minimum of 2 years before being eligible to apply for BCW privileges, and three positions for dual privileges at both BC Women’s Hospital and St Paul’s Hospital. Members of the Department of Midwifery work in community based clinics, and provide midwifery services to women and their families who reside in the city of Vancouver and surrounding communities.
Criteria for Eligibility
A prospective medical staff member (Applicant) must:
- Be registered, or eligible for registration with the College of Midwives of BC;
- Have a minimum of one year of experience as a registered midwife;
- Be physically located and available within 30 minutes of BC Women’s Hospital and/or St Paul’s Hospital when on call;
- Have agreed to join an established midwifery practice located in the City of
Six successful applicants will be invited to apply for privileges at BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre (PHSA) and/or Providence Health Care, St. Paul’s Hospital (VCH).
Preferred Candidates will meet at least 5 of the following:
- Proven clinical excellence and experience in the provision of midwifery and maternity care;
- Professional/leadership experience;
- Commitment to the hospital(s) and the community;
- Intention to work full-time*;
- Research experience (post-education);
- Teaching experience (post-education);
- Demonstrated experience in working with women who are historically underserved, or a commitment to and working knowledge of an anti-oppression, diversity and inclusion framework;
- An ability and interest in providing midwifery care in a language other than English;
- Demonstrated commitment to positive collegial relationships, furthering the profession of midwifery and engaging in interprofessional
Preference will be given to applicants intending to work full-time in order to help meet the high demand for midwifery care in Vancouver
The Department of Midwifery is committed to increasing workforce diversity and encourages Aboriginal midwives and midwives from underrepresented groups to apply and self-identify.
Only completed applications comprising of the following will be considered.
- Letter of intent;
- Current Curriculum Vitae;
- Appendix A: signed agreement to join an established midwifery practice located in the City of Vancouver (see Appendix A);
- Appendix B: contact information for three (3) referees including one obstetrical consultant, one obstetrical nursing colleague, and one current or former midwifery practice partner, who are able to provide a direct assessment of your functioning within the maternity care
Please submit completed applications any of the following ways:
Mail: Administrative Assistant
Department of Midwifery
BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre 4500 Oak St, Box 162
Room D204K Vancouver BC V6H 3N1
Fax: (604) 875-3261
If you are unable to open the attached document, please contact Tracey Chang at firstname.lastname@example.org or (604) 875-2424, ext. 6460, for assistance.
The deadline for completed application packages is 17:00 PST, Friday, November 16th, 2018. Applications after this deadline will not be considered.
All applicants will be contacted by November 23rd, 2018, regarding her/his application status. Receipt of all applications will be confirmed by e-mail. If you have not received confirmation within 24 hours or by 10:00 am the following Monday morning, it is your responsibility to contact Tracey Chang via e-mail to confirm receipt.
Interviews will be held on Thursday, November 29th, 2018, in Vancouver (in-person only).
Successful applicants will be notified within a week of interviews and immediately invited to apply for medical staff privileges. Please note that activation of medical staff privileges can take up to three months.
For information on our department, please visit our website at www.midwivesinvancouver.ca.